Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Iris


I always think it gets a little boring when folks post a lot of flower photos. Not that I don't like flowers...I LOVE flowers, but it can get a little old. This Iris , however, has a story. It bloomed two weeks ago. Yep, in December an iris bloomed in Mark Twain country. It popped up outside the offices of our church education coordinator, who tipped me off to this little miracle and I just happened to have my camera with me. I always liked the poem about a bird singing in December being a magical thing and sweet to remember. For the visually oriented, an Iris blooming in December has a similar quality. A symbol of hope in the face of cold winds. A flag of bright color to remind us that the world is not all grey and that these small wonders can be what life is all about. And look where it chose to spring up...amongst those red berries to set it off just so. I once spent time in a place where plants, well, flowers specifically, were considered to be creatures like animals and that the fact that their faces were ever turned towards the sun was just one way they had of celebrating God's holy light and the grateful joy of existence. This little flower makes me wonder on the truth of that. Is she celebrating the Advent season? Did she want in on the decorating and singing the Christ Child into our hearts ?

I have a commission to paint this little wonder...I suspect I will do several paintings of this Christmas Iris..perhaps even a card design for next year. Maybe no one will get it except for the few that stood with me as I photographed the flower, but I think this is one of those times I am supposed to do something. I can see a little Iris icon......gold gesso, wonderful soft tones. Oh yeah.

Well, I decided I can't post my portrait paintings until I gift them because one of my darlings reads this blog so I have to be a little careful. I took this slow this week-end, but went to a lovely dinner party on Saturday, received a thoughtful gift..several, really..and had a lovely time. I've been renting videos from the library...free videos...how cool is that....so I can rest a bit and deal with not feeling well.

Planning holiday meals: smoked salmon pizza with brie for Christmas Eve dinner..a recipe borrowed from a multi-talented friend in Las Vegas. Christmas day..DH bought some frozen scallops so we'll do those in a butter lemon sauce on basmati rice and an apple upside down cake for dessert..not a traditional dessert, but one I've been looking for an excuse to try so this is it. I may also try a cannoli cake that has been tempting me, but we'll have to see how my energy holds up. I can't believe it is the 21st. I actually have business appointments tomorrow. The world keeps on. I need Christmas.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Shel said...

Your Christmas Eve dinner sounds wonderful....We had it recently and it was great. For Christmas dinner, we are going with a mostly non-traditional meal, thanks to my Polish husband...Ham, Kielbasa, Potato Salad, veggies and at my request, a garden salad. I'm making dessert....Sticky Toffee Pudding...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Merry Christmas

Shel said...

P.S.

The Iris photo is beautiful...always fun when something shows up unexpectedly.

Dee D said...

Hate to tell you this, but that salmon pizza originated in NH!!! and it is wonderful. Have a Merry Christmas and may the new year be filled with wonder and good heath.

Bill said...

Hi Sis, Hope you enjoyed our gift of wine and food. I love you and miss you. We are having Alaskin King Crab legs for Christmas, wish you were here.
Love your brother
Bill

Kathleen Barnes said...

ARGh I apologize, Dee. I saw the pizza on Shel's blog and assumed.....Well, belated thanks for the recipe as I have enjoyed a few times and Stve loves it ! Sticky toffee pudding sounds great. I just sampled my apple upside down cake and it rocks ! Dear Brother...I cry every time I hear "I'll Be Home for Christmas" someday.......In the meantime we are munching the goodies from our basket. I hid the chocolate nad Steve is eating all the dried fruit.