Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wandering

Where have I been ???? Good question. Happily burried in paint up to my elbows. Hiding beneath the poppies so no one would find me while I dreamed my ultramarine and quinacridone dreams. I bought this tiny moleskine which would not , under any circumstance accept any watercolor. I understood. sometimes you just don't want all that water sloshing about..and I did have all this acrylic stuff sitting about...and I did have these dreams floating around that really wanted to make a landing somewhere soon. so I began. A little collage, a little stamping. some mettalic pens, a few new pencils, a wash of color, a glaze over that, a bit of stencil. this is just too much fun. The book is only 3X5 and I am working over a spread.
I tried some self portraits. Just peaking around the edge to begin with. Myself as a mermaid whistling bubbles. I used a heart shaped cutter along the edge that actually works with both images. Trying to stay loose..adventurous..not photographic...trying to maintain a bit a dreamlike quality. I finished five images in January..which got me going and brave enough to start some larger pieces. I would dearly love to do a series of larger pieces...of myself and the women of Scared Space.I began to photograph them. They are lusciously willing victims and I love them so for that.
I think this one looks most like me. I tried not to hide the softened jawline and drooping eyes. I gave myself grayer hair and smoothed my neck a bit only because it looked as if I had on a turtle neck sweater, which I never wear,though I do wear butterflies. I had fun with this. I want to do even more. it is very challenging to look into a mirror and draw oneself. I had to use a reflection from a window at night. Haunting thrift stores for a studio mirror is now on my agenda though it seems my time has not allowed that recently with my husband's travels, though his travels are what has allowed me more studio time as I must remain close to home to care for our dog, an aged fellow in need of more intense care.

January saw me clearing and oraganizing my studio. I excavated my easel and set in a corner, the better to do the larger acrylic pieces. I finished a set of adorable cupcake paintings for my kitchen and made that space more my own. I let go of trying to create art for to please buyers, husbands and friends and founf a tiny book set me a new path I am enjoying for the journey itself.

Business is slow and needs much attention. the harder I go the behinder I get, but the art flows. How funny is that. There may be a point of critical mass, but today is not that day. A steep car repair bill frightens me, but also guarantees another year of freedom from car payments. A gift of travel beckons and I believe I will follow. New opportunities seem to present themselves in ways I would not have imagined a year ago and I accept with a smile. Yes. I say yes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: