Friday, January 23, 2009

Bliss is.....


Bliss is doing the work you are meant to do. I just read a book by Michael Gruber "The Forgery of Venus" which deals with the issue of what in the world happens to your head if what you are meant to do...say paint in a manner of a 17th C. Spanish painter. Can it be done and at what cost. an interesting question.

One of this year's goals is to live with less stress, not make such a big deal out of the stuff that really does not matter....like housework and fine dining (that would be me doing the cooking) and focusing on what the soul needs for sustenance. I think we so easily lose touch with that little issue. then we get ulcers, cancer, failure to thrive. Pretty bad stuff. I am definetly keeping a gratitude journal to thank God for all the blessings in my life and there are many. We are what we focus on. A conversation with my physician this week got me on this, but I had been stewing on the edges of the subject for some time.

This morning, I stopped into my studio, a place I have not been all week, and thought to just do one tiny thing, just see if a stamp would print over a heavily painted page. It did. I did some more. Wow. How about UNDER the paint. I had a self portrait sketched onto another page. I slapped a few stamps onto that. Hmmm. I could keep going. I could do this all day, but I need to get into the office, make sure the deal is moving smoothly...this will support an art escape in May..so very important....but the feeling stays on my senses like a good wine. So good. More time, dedicate all that worry time to making , creating, playing. I was playing, just seeing what would happen if...... It's a great game that opens the heart and mind.

And then as the morning progresses I notice there is no headache, no flashing, pulsing, ugliness pulling my world oout of focus. Hmm, a few moments did that. An hour may be a cure that would outdo the physicians prescriptions. One hour a day for a calmness and focus that would allow me to accomplish more in other areas of my world. Not a very high price.

There is so much more to us as beings that we just refuse to consider and if and when we do, we are called dreamers...or even mad. That there is more to us than a body and a mind, that a spirit may exist and have it's own needs and existence staggers most minds into fear and denial. There is more to this world, Urich. Much more.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dee D said...

Which makes your heart beat faster - the finished painting or the cupcake studies in your note book? For me, it has always been the studies - they seem so much closer to the heart of the artist.