Monday, May 3, 2010

Grace's teacups


As promised, this is the teacup painting I finished this week-end. The tabletop is an old french accounting page but the rest is painted. I love how the eggs turned out. I expect teeny birdlings to pop out any second ! I primed the board with gold gesso and that is what gives the entire piece a bit if a glow. The teacup model is a Royal Albert in a pattern called "Enchantment". I adapted some of the design, but it is pretty darn close to the actual pattern in shape and color. I actually wrote the word "Enchanted" before I looked on the bottom to read the pattern name. The size is 8" X 8" on cradled art board. I am loving working on these boards because they are ready to hang as soon as they are finished because I gesso the sides with gold.

I have already looked over my little collection of Grace's teacups.....inherited from my Mother-in-Law. They are such delicate, beautiful little things. The entire set was divided up between her children, my husband included as the oldest son. I've peeked at some of the others in my other in-laws and would love to paint some of theirs, too but for now I am quite happy with the little works of art in our china closet. they are really very accommodating models, happy to remain still for hours or even days as I sketch and paint. I do enjoy still life, especially when I can throw in something a bit magical and unexpected.

I am still debating what wonders will nest in the next cup. check my Etsy shop for this and more Enchantments.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: