Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sleeping on the job

No, I haven't been snoozing...in fact, I have been painting madly, drawing near to my pup and slapping glue where no one would dare.. OK, the last one may be a bit out there. I HAVE been remiss in posting photos and showing new works so I have spent this softly grey day..perfect for photos..doing just that. I started drawing Demi a few months ago and try to get in a few sketches every once in awhile. It was a bit easier when DH built a fire in our fireplace and Demi decided it was the perfect place for a little snooze. she can be a very active model and wants to play more than stand still for something she just doesn't quite get. I can see it in her eyes.."Ms Kathy, just what are you doing with that piece of paper and little stick in your hand and why are you looking at me so funny?...what should I do? roll over? Dance around your feet? Run and get Mr. Steve ?" Hard for a puppy to figure these things out. Hard for me to measure the distance from her eyes to her nose! charcoal works best because it is quick and I can adjust the darks and lights after she has wandered off on me.
She gets disenchanted with me and won't look at me. I drew her anyway. Funny little fuzzy! I really didn't want to work from a photo and though DH would prefer a showdog type piece of artwork, I love these sketches because they are full of life and the things she really does.They seem more alive.
After all that work, we had to celebrate...new classes, new venues, all sorts of fun. I just needed to work with some sunshine colors and do something just a bit silly. It says the word "Celebrate " across the bottom. and "You" on the top, with a tipsy tilted cake in between. I had fun just splashing around, doodling in the details and creating something just for the love of it.
This last little puppy face is still Demi, but very foreshortened in the nose area. She likes to sit at the top of the stairs, Queen of all she surveys, waiting for me to plunk down beside her and tell her what a wonderful fuzzy she is. she is really quite vain and requires this of me at least once a day or she sulks. My funny girl.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: