Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ode to a Master

I know I have been gone for a bit.
time flies and I steal moments to visit other blogs,
see what my blogosphere friends are up to.
the holidays have set in.
schedules become impossible things.
Last week, I retreated from all for a full day.
 It was like a glass of cool water
 after a walk in the desert.
This week, I decided to paint an homage to the great Monet.
One of his vast triptychs hangs for a few months
in our museum.
I have visited twice already.
He amazes me.
Freedom is what he is about.
Freedom from fear
or lack of confidence.
Those are the bravest brush strokes since Hokusai.
I had to try.
The layers of color began in hesitation,
but then I learned to move away,
Stand back.
Hold my brush from the very end
and brandish color
like Errol Flynn with a sword

Life is much more interesting
when you stand back and hold onto the very edge of things.
Magic lives there.
The space between worlds in time and space
thins and allows
communion with those before us.
They want to share as always.
Only artists with a generous heart can fall into that space,
and be content forever.

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

That's a very beautiful tribute to one of the master's. Nice going.
gloria

Marit said...

Oh yes, it's so very special to see the master's paintings in real life! (I had the opportunity serveral times - Holland is not far from Paris) Hold on to the edge dear - you are right: magic lives there!