Thursday, April 16, 2009

Have a cupcake !!

So there were these horrid little tiles with duck heads on them hanging up along the kitchen ceiling, right over the stove. REEEEEAAAAALLLYYY ugly duck tiles. they had to go. I figured it would be easy. Paint something cute and kitcheny like cupcakes. I really make cupcakes a lot. They are my darling husband's favorite breakfast food. So I got some of those deep canvases and painted and played for days. I think they came out darling. Darling husband cringed a bit. OK, so they are abit sugary, but better than those &%@# duck heads, which he did not seem particularly attached to.
Turns out they came with the house when he bought it over 30 years ago. They had actually been painted around when he had the kitchen painted. It also turned out they had been GLUED to the wall. so when I tried to take them down, they too k off huge chunks of dry wall with them. HARUMPH. So I had to get spackle and paint and repair the wall before I could hang my cupcakes.
But hang them I did and they look oh so much better than the duck heads. By the way, I used an old cookbook as the base for the painting. You can actually read the recipes throuogh some of the paint. they were all candy recipes. The icing is all done with dimensional paste and lots of sparklies. the colors are pulled with some decorative plates I have hung from the wall at a right angle to this one. I have to live with some Pepto Bismol Pink vertical blinds so I am trying to throw more color into the room. Next project is to replace some very limp lace curtains with a nice shade..I am thinking of using some stenciling and then getting rid of a truly ugly light fixture. Darling husband is extremely change resistant so this is a painstakingly slow process. Luckily I am very good at perserverence....and paint.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Shel said...

Pepto Bismol Pink vertical blinds???? If you can't ditch them,change the name to BUBBLEGUM PINK VERTICAL BLINDS....!!! Bubblegum Pink is so much more fun and exciting (like you)....Pepto Bismol Pink sounds sickening sweet...kind of like how the frosting on your cupcakes, and how I love frosting!!!

Your friend and fellow cupcake lover

Anonymous said...

But Pepto Bismol Pink has a history along with Happy Pickle Green

Anonymous said...

Does the artist read her comments???

Kathleen Barnes said...

The artist reads her comments !!!!!Oh yes, she does ! Thank you for leaving one.