Friday, September 23, 2011

In the Land of Bobbie Burns

Walking ancient paths,
Love joined two souls forever.
A blessing shared.

I had the distinct pleasure of attending this lovely wedding at Sherbrooke castle in Glasgow Scotland.
I came home much richer in family,
as I gained not only a sister-in-law,
but her sister as well.
My family grows in wondrous ways.

I loved the ancient buildings and memorials:
They captured my heart as well as my imagination.
I could have spent weeks in Edinburgh,
a city of culture and history.
The sound of bagpipes followed us about as we explored tiny alleyways and cobbled streets.
There were magical meals aplenty.
The Scots know how to make bread so delicious,
you can eat it alone,
but toasted mushroom or thick bacon tops it well,
and often.
I also had my special dream come true:,
my dear brother came through on his promise
and I began a journey searching out
two of Scotland's greatest artists.
They were also married.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his artist wife, Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh.
I have a tale about dear Margaret,
Which I shall share on another day.
I was charged with mission
in a building too beautiful for words.
Another day.

I would also like to very much thank my dear brother and his lovely wife,
for sharing their journey and allowing me to be a part of the celebration
of their love,
and for the Haggis.

4 comments:

rebecca said...

oh kathleen...your post is full of love, family, culture and richness. i am very smitten with the stained glass work of mackintosh, and look forward to your tale regarding margaret. the mackintosh rose has inspired for so many long years...
and now your journey to edinburgh will flood my heart too!

Marit said...

Wow KAthleen.. you ate haggis? I tried it when I was in Edinburh (the man sitting on the table next to me let me taste it - how about that!) It wasn't that bad either - it's the thought of what's IN it that makes me shiver... Your photos bring back many memories of my short stay in Scotland... thanks! Can't wait to hear all the stories you will come home with!

Noelle Clearwater said...

Kathleen,
This is truly beautiful. I love the old buildings, the warm woods, the golden light and the ancient history that infuses the place. I love your talk of family and how meaningful your visit was to you. Looking forward to your story of Margaret.
xo,
Noelle

Susie Clevenger said...

Not only beautiful words, but the pictures speak a poetry of their own