Friday, June 3, 2011

Haiku My Heart Friday


Hear joyous waves of sound.
Rolling throughout the woods:
Cicada Opera.


The cicadas are holding daily and evening concerts here in Middle Earth. I drift off to sleep hearing their song. We greet the morning sun together, I with my open heart and eyes, they with their unceasing song. I know it is a song of love and life. Some find it annoying. they can't hear other things for the opera going on outside their windows. For me it is such a celebration. I want to dance to the rolling cicada songs.

I painted this a few years ago as a rather large thank you note to a dear friend and her husband. She is now facing a challenging procedure that involves a gift of life from her twin sister. I ask for your prayers. Her name is Cindi.

Please join the rest of the amazing hearts on this weekly celebration of poetry, art and life at Rebecca's inspiring blog.

14 comments:

Marit said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm an art journal teacher too... it's amazing to see your pieces. Love the painting and the haiku! We don't have cicadas in cold Holland, but I do love the sound! I'm sending good vibes to your friend! Enjoy your weekend.

rebecca said...

good morning lover of ruckus midnight choirs!

here in the southwest our cicadas arrive later in summer with the arrival of monsoons. imagine...the opera then, with its crescendo of thunder and bright splays of lightening.

thank you for your bright offering.
so glad you are here haiku-ing all our hearts!

tami said...

you bring back memories of my visits to my grandparents and the sound of the cicadas lulling me to sleep . .
my thoughts are with your friend today.

Snap said...

I love cicadas. I found one of their bodies at the base of my Buddha this morning. Seemed only right! Lovely

deb did it said...

oh how I love the sounds of summer when the Cicada choir begins daily rehearsals

Cheryl said...

Thank you for this lovely picture, haiku, and story, to get to know you better. I am praying for your friend.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Some people find cicadas annoying. I find them mysteriously soothing--like, as you suggest,an opera!

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Kathleen! The watercolors so evoke the vivacity of summer! And your haiku is the perfect sound imagery for it! We have cicadas here, too, and they definitely put on an opera. It's pleasantly lulling to sit outside at dusk, kick back, and listen.

I've put Cindi on my prayer list. I hope that all goes well.
Hugs, me

Kathi said...

The songs of nature are truly a treasure...Cindi will be in my prayers.

Rosie said...

Your painting is beautiful and I shall hold your friend Cindi in my thoughts...
Love the sound of cicadas too - reminds me of living in Spain! Thanks for sharing! =)

Meri said...

I can just imagine the warm, humid nights and the symphony of sound rolling around, hugging the ground, wafting in and out of trees.

gma said...

Love Cicada's in the summertime.
The painting is perfect with it.
This post reminds me of my childhood.

Noelle Clearwater said...

I love your painting,its bright and vivid colors and inviting imagery. I remember hearing cicada choirs when going camping many times. We don't have many in Santa Barbara except if you go high up in the mountains or over to Santa Ynez where there is lots of dry grass. I do like them though. Holding your friend in the light.
Blessings,
Noelle

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Prayers go out for Cindi. May all go well for her. I love your watercolor and your haiku. Have a good week, paintdiva.