Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sailing away.....


Oh how nice it would be to just sail away...off into a colorful sunset.....Hmmm...not this week.

When things get busy it gets harder and harder to find inspiration..it all looks like perspiration..or maybe that's just the hot summer temps we have been having. I come home worn out from the heat as much as anything else. Last night I couldn't get to sleep. DH couldn't either. We both crept downstairs to find something soporific...a little wine, a little tea. I won't tell who had which. As we snuggled down for the second time that night, he whispered that I should think happy thoughts and he started describing his favorite dream which involved a puppy in a field running up to him ....etc.

I love my pups...don't get me wrong, but my immediate reaction to thinking of a comforting image was the ocean. I grew up on a far away shore, always seeing sailboats and zippy little sports boats along with the big fishing boats. I loved them all. They were the first things I drew when I began to get that habit: a watery horizon, a lighthouse, a boat and a few seagulls. By the time I was an adolescent, touristy types from the BIG CITY would ask me how much I would sell them for. Many owned summer houses along the shore and wanted to decorate in very nautical themes. It was then that I learned I could actually make money doing something I loved. Magic. Wonder.

It never stopped.

So this morning I promised myself an early start in the studio. No distractions. Get in there and PAINT. This can sometimes be much harder to do than one would think. So in I went and the first thing that caught my eye was a little sailboat..a toy really, crafted at a women's retreat a few years ago. That was it. That was my inspiration, my muse for the morning. I grabbed a sheet of watercolor paper primed with thickly textured gesso. Then something wonderful happened. I did NOT grab my usual earthy golden colors. I laid out the brightest, most gloriously different colors I could have possibly put together. These were colors that sang and danced just like a tiny sailboat on the sea would sail. I didn't stop...I just kept going until it was done. I love it. Flower colors gone off to sea.

Much of this glorious color celebration is inspired by Nancy Standlee and her dedication to attending workshops with folks like this.

YUMMMMMM. What inspires your color choices? Not just paintings, but in your home, in the clothes you wear. What colors make your heart SING!!!!!

7 comments:

tami said...

I love your bright colors. I have been drawn to bright, bright colors this spring and summer. The walls of my house are now yello and the living room is orange with one red wall. (Sounds awful but it works well : )

What a lovely piece of art!

Janet Ghio said...

I love the colors in your painting! Wish I could jump on that sailboat and sail away to somewhere cool!! I love bright colors--Mexican and colors from India. Yum!

Cheryl said...

I have never sailed but I have been on the ocean and I love it. Love your picture and your story.

Meri said...

I love almost all shades of blue -- they remind me of the sky on a sunny day and of water. I also love the pinks and corals and reds. Greens, too. Not a big fan of yellow at least for wearing, though I painted the kitchen and family room a warm yellow so it would always look sunny.

rebecca said...

completely and totally delicious!
you know you have the colours right when it looks good enough to EAT!!

Artsy Firefly said...

I love, love, LOVE the vibrant colors! I recognized the little sailboat theme. Your narrative of the boat lulls me to sleep as I envision it. Perfect peace!

Noelle Clearwater said...

Your sailboat could be the illustration in a children's story. It is colorful and delightful. I am in love with it. So vibrant and cheerful.
Noelle