Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dream Dancer

In my dreams, I dance. I am so not a dancer in real life. Balance, stretching, grace are all things I strive for. I love to learn new things. I love to learn to DO new things. Keeping balance in my life..well..I guess I am just like everyone else, doing the very best that i can and trying to do it with some amount of grace.

This image is from one of my newer art journals. It's created on an old book, discarded by the local library on ballet. My sister and I took ballet lessons when we were kids at Miss Billie's School of Dance. Miss Billie had been a genuine Ziegfeld girl in her prime. I remember loving the romance of dancing, but my adolescent body just wasn't coordinated enough and after a year or so, I wandered off to my brushes and watercolors.

Now as a mature grown up kind of person I can go back into my heart of hearts and create images that honor the great admiration of I had and still have for the art of the dance. The words say "Do something strange and extravagant" and so I pick up crayons to add color and add fluttery things, dreamy things. Now there is magic. I may never be able to execute a perfect en pointe, but I create images that speak to that perfection. Then carry my dreams forward in a strange and extravagant way.

What dances did you dance as a child? Horseback riding? surfing? music ? How do you honor those things in your life these days?I am off to make dinner for my recovering DH. He requested linguine with clam sauce. I laughed when he asked because I really can make it in my sleep as it was a household staple when I was growing up and probably one of the first things I learned to cook! I even have fresh oregano growing in my tiny garden. There is an oregognome guarding it...truly..I'll post photos at another time!



I am off to make dinner for my recovering DH. He requested linguine with clam sauce. I laughed when he asked because I really can make it in my sleep as it was a household staple when I was growing up and probably one of the first things I learned to cook! I even have fresh oregano growing in my tiny garden. There is an oregognome guarding it...truly..I'll post photos at another time!


1 comment:

rebecca said...

such beauty here! thank you for your visit. i hope you will join in with a haiku on fridays. you will find a warm and welcome reception.