Thursday, May 19, 2011

Habitations

My world is inhabited by many strange creatures. As you may have read previously, a lovely owl friend moved into the eaves of our house and manages the local fauna for us. I kept thinking the owl was a "she" so last week in my Art Journaling class, this was a demonstration that started with the photocopy of an old owl engraving and the lower half of a rather threatening looking model. The original images are well covered with paint and texturing, even a little mono printing to get the feathery effect. I haven't decided if the bird in her hand is being guarded or regarded...as in hmm... are YOU my lunch?????


So in pondering habitations and cohabitations, I thought you might enjoy a tiny peek at one of my favorite rooms. I painted the walls my very own self as anyone can see by the fact that I forgot to tape off the ceiling and there are a few blobs of blue paint wandering around the upper edges. This little corner is where Miss Bunee lives...far away from the owl guardian. she likes to keep me company in my bathroom! You can see the blue I chose was that wonderful Tiffany blue.

I do have my own throne.....um to sit on when I do my make-up and consult Miss B.
I also have LOTS of artwork hanging in my bathroom. I know some folks live in fear of ruining precious art with steam,etc, but I have a large watercolor hanging on one wall and it has lived there for seven years without a smudge or fade. The piece peeking out in back is also a watercolor of mine and YES, that is an Alice in wonderland clock. The Cheshire cat is on the pendulum. I picked it up in antique mall for $7.00. Love it. The other piece is a needlepoint of a Renoir painting done by DH's favorite Auntie.....well, she was my favorite, too.

A bit more news: If you are in the St. Louis area, Rosemary Grove, in Kirkwood is now carrying my artwork.

I will have some joyous news around July 1st.

A demo for Grumbacher at the St. Charles Michaels.

A glass of wine in my hand Friday night at the Collector's choice event at the St. Louis Artists' Guild

Whew.....all that and hubby is still wearing a sling and in need of a chauffeur and mail room assistant

AND

next time I'll see if I can get some shots of my garden and the famous Oregognome!

2 comments:

Artsy Firefly said...

Gracious, Kathleen ~ Are you down to 3 hours of sleep a day this week? That is an amazing amount of activity in one week! Your she-owl painting is hauntingly lovely! (I remember the owl print from an earlier class.)

deb did it said...

fabulous chair for your Throne!