Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Quiet Place, A Sacred Space

Everyone needs a quiet place. A place to think and dream. Most importantly, we need that space and silence to be able to hear ourselves. There are adventures, wonders and amazements deep within every single one of us. Most of the time we are so busy going here, doing this, doing that, and we never connect with that quiet place that is really what we are all about.
In my heart of hearts, I know that this Sacred Space is where I connect with God and receive the gift of life that goes out into the world as my art work and teaching.
 I know my God is a creative God and blesses us all with that same creativity, though it manifests in different ways with different people.

A Sacred Space of silence is my gateway to creative living. It doesn't have to be long or in any particular place. the gateway is in my own heart. In your heart,too.

I am very interested in knowing what your Sacred Space is and how you create it for yourself. Do you share it? I sometimes do and it is a rich thing to do. Tell me true.

3 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I think many spaces are sacred--it's the intention that you enter with that makes it that way--but here is one of my favorites-very simple. My bed faces the door to the screened in porch. I always have coffee in bed and read in the morning-when I have finished with these rituals, I turn out the light and just sit in my bed and gaze out at the woods that I can see through the porch-the way the sunlight hits the leaves on the trees-it's beautiful and quiet (except for the birds-which are wonderful). It's even beautiful in the winter.

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Kathleen~ It sounds like you are really feeding your soul--with your art, teaching, connecting with like-minded people at the Guild, communing with nature, holding a space for yourself to meditate... Self-care to self-love to self-confidence to entitlement to empowerment! I'm working on this journey right now for myself. We made a studio for "my space" in the basement (free-standing wall with shelves (with pretty baskets holding different genres), etc.) where I work on my multimedia projects: collages w/painting, words. I write down here, too (yup, I have a desk for my computer!). I journal almost every day; it is a great tool for bringing more clarity into my life. Outside, I'm going to put a hammock between two trees in my tree circle. You're from NJ! Do you know it's rained almost every day through April and May?! Was St. Louis affected by any of the midwest tornadoes or storms? I created an altar in my yard for St. Francis and what he represents. There is a bird bath with a whispering/white pine tree, a pretend brook with pretty stones and seashells. I had made a Native American medicine wheel with crystals at each of the four directions (as you mentioned), but my husband eventually put a firepit over it (which I like, too). Repeating St. Francis's prayer there is a wonderful meditation. My inside (basement) altar has Hindi mala beads and a statue of Quan Yin, Buddhist Goddess of the Divine Feminine, rosary beads and a statue of Mary, a holder for incense--am now using Blue Rose if you see my next-to-last post--and other items that represent things that are currently meaningful to me and/or that I'm currently working on. Like you, Kathleen, there is another thing that feeds me: taeaching a Creative Writing Circle at A Life Well Lived, a center for women. And now I'm going to follow your blog--you seem to be in a really creative stage and sharing with other women. Doesn't get better than that! xo

Artsy Firefly said...

I happened to read your Sacred Space blog at the same time that Sacred Space Sisterhood was meeting! I felt very close to everyone and especially you! My sacred spaces are often in nature, where I can observe the beauty of a blossom or the wonder of a rainbow. At other times, I light a candle and read a Bible verse, then journal, draw, or pray(sometimes all three!). Ordinary sacred spaces include sharing coffee and conversation with friends, which in fact is not ordinary at all, but very sacred indeed!